The development of the community known as Lakewood in Colorado was begun in 1889 by Charles Welch and W.A.H Loveland, who platted a 13-block area along Colfax Avenue west of Denver in eastern Jefferson County. Loveland, the former president of the Colorado Central Railroad, retired to the new community of Lakewood after many years of living in nearby Golden.
Lakewood also houses the prestigious Lakewood High School, ranked number one in the state by Newsweek, and the only International Baccalaureate School in Jefferson County. Lakewood is also home to Colorado Christian University. A new addition to Lakewood is Belmar, a modern downtown area with a diverse mix of residential, retail and cultural establishments.